Your Privacy, Community Guidelines, and
Go See Campus
Last Updated: March 28, 2011
Your privacy is extremely important to Go See Campus. Below, we detail our policy for using and sharing personally identifiable information. It applies to information collected on and after the date that this policy is posted.
Except as described here, your information collected on Go See Campus' website will not be shared with third parties. We will also protect your information with physical, procedural, and electronic safeguards.
Changes to Privacy Statement
Children Under 13 Years of Age
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13. If we find out we have unknowingly collected such information we will take all reasonable measures to delete that information from our system as soon as possible. If you believe the website has any information about anyone under 13, please contact us to have this information removed.
How Information Is Used
The personally identifiable information we collect may be used to:
- improve Go See Campus through means like surveys and website polls.
- identify users when addressing issues they have, such as site errors.
- customize or personalize the content and layout of our pages.
- send customized information about the college search.
- pre-fill website forms with stored personal information.
- complete transactions performed on the site. Personally identifiable information may be shared with those companies related to the transactions you make so that they can complete these transactions.
We may also aggregate information that users provide in order to:
- identify and create products and services that serve our mission
- obtain such products and services from selected vendors.
- assist with programming and technical aspects of website operation.
- develop products and services for third parties.
Information Collected Through Website Services
Users need online accounts to view some parts of the website. The account allows you to complete services and save your information. As an example, an account is required to create and save your trip in our trip planner tool. When you choose to create an account, we collect some personally identifiable information, which allows us to continue to improve the website and our services.
In addition, we connect to third-party websites so users can take advantage of their services. For example, users can use third-party websites to book flights, hotels, car rentals, and more for their trips. Also, we connect our "Campus Bookstore" section to a third-party webpage hosted by Amazon.com, a global leader in e-commerce. These and other third-party websites and services may be presented in a way that fits with Go See Campus' design and layout, but the service provider is prominently identified in these cases. Please see the individual website policies for information on privacy.
Passive Information Collection
Along with the information you provide actively to Go See Campus, we collect information about how users use our website. This assists us in website testing and improving your experience. It also helps us compile broad demographic and usage data, which we use for internal purposes and for disclosure to third parties such as advertisers and content partners. Passive information does not identify you personally, nor do we link your IP address to your personally identifiable information.
We Do Not Share Data that Lets Colleges Identify You Personally By Your Activity
The purpose of Go See Campus is to support students and parents in the college search, and we value that charge. Go See Campus will not share data that will allow universities to identify you personally. This also means we will not share information that would let universities connect your trip plans, questions, or reviews to your identity.
However, Go See Campus may ask you whether information about you may be sent to third parties, including colleges, that have products, services and opportunities which may be useful to you. For example, if you have noted in your profile that you have visited Klein University, we may ask you whether you would like Klein University to send you a viewbook with information about the school. These offers will be clearly marked. If you give your permission to allow third parties to contact you, personal details (such as your contact information) may be shared in the way we describe in the offer. We may also provide third-parties with collective profiles of our user groups. Such collective profiles may be disclosed to prospective partners and third parties, and for other lawful purposes, but they will not include personally identifiable information.
Email Communication and Optional Information
We communicate electronically with our users through two types of emails: mandatory system-generated emails and optional emails. System-generated emails are a direct response to a user's action on the site. Optional emails are selected by the user based on specific services chosen.
We know that not everyone wants to get information in our optional emails, so you have the ability to opt out, either when you register for Go See Campus initially or by signing in, going to your "Settings" page, and managing email subscriptions.
At various other points during your visit to Go See Campus, you may be asked to provide information about yourself. For example, you may wish to participate in a survey or a contest through our website. Participation in these activities is completely voluntary on your part, and you have the choice about whether to disclose the information necessary to use those features of our website.
You can change your personally identifiable information by signing into Go See Campus, going to your "Settings" page, and making updates.
You can also deactivate your account and remove your personal information from active service. To make this request, use the "Delete your account?" link. You will find this on the "Settings" page. We will retain some personal information to prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Terms, and comply with requirements as permitted by law.
Security and Passwords
We make efforts to protect information from your computer to our system. Unfortunately, no transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. Once we receive your data, we make our best effort to secure it in our system.
Your Go See Campus website password is protected so that only you can access it and view the member information relevant to your account. No one at Go See Campus will ever ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or email. Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and any account information.
"Publicly-accessible" areas of the Service are those areas that are intended by Go See Campus to be available to other site users. Publicly-accessible information does not include data that is kept private in your settings.
Please be aware that by submitting content to this Website or through other data-collecting sources, including any questions, comments, reviews of colleges or activities, or the like contained in any submissions ("Submissions"), you grant Go See Campus and its partners a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable, irrevocable and fully sublicensable right to
- use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, distribute, publish, create derivative works from and publicly display and perform such Submissions throughout the world in any media, now known or hereafter devised; and
- use the name that you submit in connection with such Submission. To protect their privacy on the Website, users have the option of submitting under Community Names, as described below.
You acknowledge that Go See Campus may choose to provide attribution of your Submissions at our discretion. You further grant Go See Campus the right to pursue at law any person or entity that violates your or Go See Campus' rights in the Submissions by a breach of this Agreement. You acknowledge and agree that Submissions are non-confidential and non-proprietary. You agree that you will not publish, submit, or display such Submissions to or on any other commercial web-site or service without Go See Campus' prior written consent, which may be withheld in our discretion. Consent may be requested by contacting Go See Campus.
Together, we are all members of the Go See Campus Community. It is the mission of us all to create resources and relationships that benefit students and parents in the college search process. We make the experience more empowering, enjoyable, and efficient by supporting one another in our academic adventures. By working together, we ensure that we all make the most of our campus trips and college search.
In our interaction through Go See Campus, we remember to respect all people and their opinions. We avoid saying things that will make people feel unwelcome, hurt someone, or otherwise detract from a memorable college experience. All of us in the Go See Campus Community follow these guidelines, and we rely on one another to report content that does not follow them.
What is the Community?
The community is an interactive discussion area on the Go See Campus website that lets members ask questions, give advice, and share opinions about visiting schools and the college search. Remember, the advice you find in the community should only be one part of your college research. You should consider other resources to evaluate the accuracy of what others have to say.
Do I need to register to use the Community?
You can browse community submissions without being a member. However, you will need to create a free account to make your own submissions. If you have already registered with Go See Campus, you just need to provide some quick information to gain access.
I own or represent a company and want to conduct commercial activities through Go See Campus. Do I need to do anything special?
Please review our Professional Code of Conduct below. We provide special benefits to professional users but require that they register as professionals.
What parts of my profile information can other Community users see?
If you are a regular (non-professional) user, the only information that others can see is
- your Community Name: an alias that you create for posting to the community board
- optional information you provide when you register for the community. This includes "website", "location", "occupation", and "interests".
Your real name, email, user type, and other information you provided when you registered for the Go See Campus website remains hidden. Go See Campus will not share information that would allow colleges to identify you personally with your community submissions, but it is your responsibility to not include identifying content in either your posts or in the "optional information" fields in the community registration.
How do I post anonymously using a Community Name?
When you first register for the Community, you create a Community Name. When you submit a review, question, or other content, the post will come from "COMMUNITY NAME" and not your real name.
How many Community Names may I have?
Each user may have only one name to use for the Community.
May I share the personal information of others?
Our community respects the privacy of others. Users are not allowed to make available the names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of other members without permission. Also, users may not personally identify in any way an individual university representative. This restriction means users should not make available names, addresses, phone numbers, or e-mail addresses of university representatives, past or present, in Community submissions.
What types of submissions should I make in the Community?
You can discuss any one of our hundreds of colleges, but the most helpful submissions to you and to other users are reviews, questions, and replies.
What is the difference between a review, a question, and a reply?
Reviews provide you with the chance to share your experiences with a college. Questions help you get the information you need. Replies answer questions.
What is a college trip review?
College trip reviews share the experience someone had while visiting campus as part of the college search. There is an area for every college on our website that lets you post college trip reviews. All members are invited to contribute.
What are reviews of colleges by current students and alumni?
Members of Go See Campus who are attending or have attended each university are invited to write reviews. This is a great way for you to share your experience! The best reviews of colleges cover the broad range of university issues, from student life to academics to housing to post-college preparation.
These guidelines help keep reviews accurate, relevant and even-handed. All reviews must meet these standards.
- Reviews must be community-friendly. For a complete run-down of what's not allowed, see Content We Do Not Permit
- Reviews must be based on the author's own experience at the college and not the experience of others.
- Reviews may not be submitted by representatives of the college (or any other entity) that is being reviewed.
- College trip reviews should be based on trips that took place in the last four years.
- Current students and alumni who review colleges they attend(ed) must state their year of graduation.
- A user may only write one college trip review or one review of a college for any given school.
- To reiterate a point from the Professional Code of Conduct: commercial e-mail addresses and contact information are not allowed in reviews.
- Reviews should not include questions for other users or comments about other reviews.
- Please do not personally identify an individual university representative or make his/her contact information available.
- Go See Campus may remove a review at any time for any reason.
Writing a college trip review is fun, easy, and a great way to share your experiences with others. Here are some tips:
- Give your review a memorable title.
- Include plenty of details that are personal and relevant.
- Tell others what you would like to have known before your trip.
- Try and cover these topics:
- "Overview": your overall experience on your college trip.
- "Activities": events in which you participated on-campus, like tours and information sessions.
- "Campus": how your time on campus affected your experience, whether it was the people, the classrooms, or the residence halls.
- "Setting": your thoughts about the location and area around campus, including the surrounding neighborhood, the nearby stores, and the city in which it is located.
- "On the Way": other parts of your road trip you think are worth mentioning, like site-seeing stops and the routes you took.
- Break your review of the topics above into separate paragraphs. So, if you participated in two activities on campus--a tour and an information session--write a brief paragraph of each.
- Begin each paragraph with a number grade (with "5" being "very satisfied" and "1" being "very unsatisfied"). So, if you had an excellent experience with your campus tour, you might begin the paragraph by writing, "5: Touring Klein University was an amazing experience that I will never forget because..."
What if the college I want to review is not listed?
Go See Campus is adding colleges and features all the time. Currently, we focus on four-year colleges and universities in the United States that hold the greatest interest for our users and offer a variety of majors or highly-regarded programs. For universities that do not have their own discussion area, you may add reviews, questions, and replies in the "Other Colleges" discussion area. You will find this under "More Community Discussions".
What are the other forums in the Community?
Most of our forums are specific to a particular university, but we also have several forums for other colleges and college search-related topics.
What is a "closed topic"?
Go See Campus will close topics if they become off-topic, are unnecessary, or become a problem in some other way. When a topic is closed, no new replies will be posted, and we will not allow a new topic with the same content to start.
We don't allow posts that are harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate, or otherwise objectionable.
Posts may not encourage behavior that could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulation. Posts also cannot violate any law, rule or regulation.
If a tragic event affects a university campus or another location related to the Go See Campus Community, we will allow family-friendly, college search-related discussions about it. However, we do not allow detailed discussion of violence, death, or serious injury.
Users may not advertise or otherwise solicit funds for goods or services, including charitable causes. Professional users who wish to reach the Go See Campus Community should read our Professional Code of Conduct.
Users may not:
- introduce viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or harmful code on the Internet.
- impersonate any other person, including a Go See Campus representative
- post or disclose any personally identifying information or private information about any third parties without their consent (or their parent's consent in case of children younger than 13 years of age).
- post content over which they do not own the copyright. This includes reproducing content that you have previously published elsewhere or content from others authors.
Please do not post:
- complaints about Go See Campus.
- job searches or job offers.
- multiple messages with identical or nearly identical text
- calls to action against a university, government, or another entity
- discussions that have no direct connection to visits or the college search.
Users may not create Community names or do anything else to impersonate other members or Go See Campus staff. False or speculative statements about Go See Campus are not permitted. Private communications with Go See Campus staff may not be reproduced or discussed in the Community areas unless Go See Campus requests it or publishes it. Feedback about Go See Campus must be limited to messages through the Contact Us area.
If I object to content I see in the community, what can I do?
The Go See Campus Community forums are unmoderated. The content you find there is the responsibility of the members who posted it. We rely on our users to tell us when a post does not follow our guidelines. If you believe a post is inappropriate, please report it by clicking the "Report as inappropriate" link found within the post. The content will be reviewed by a Go See Campus moderator, who may need to research the situation.
What if I disagree with something another member posts?
It is great if you want to add your perspective on a college. Just submit a review of your own experience. If you want, you can disagree in a polite way in your review without insulting other users. "I disagree with other reviews because" is a perfectly acceptable way to handle it. Direct replies to reviews are not permitted.
If you disagree with how another user has answered a question someone else posted, you may contribute your opinion so long as you respect other users, as per our Community guidelines. You may not mark "Report as inappropriate" content with which you disagree so long as it meets our community guidelines.
Is the Community area managed by Go See Campus?
Yes. Our team takes care of the forums every day.
Will Go See Campus remove community content?
To encourage an active, vibrant community of students, parents, and professionals, we may remove any content or user from the website for any reason.
Is there anyone I can contact about inappropriate community content?
Click the "Report as inappropriate" link on that content. Review our guidelines if you are not certain whether a post is appropriate or not. If a forum in the Community area has become a more serious problem with frequent violations, you can contact us with details.
Why was my post removed?
Likely, your post was removed because it did not follow our Community guidelines. Please contact us if you believe it was not inappropriate.
Will I be notified if you change or remove my community content?
Unfortunately, we will not be able to notify you if your contribution is removed.
What if I think my community content was wrongly removed?
If you believe your post was removed in error, first consult our community guidelines. Once you have found that your content followed the guidelines, contact us with information about the area that you would like us to review.
What is a professional account?
If you are an owner of a company or one of its representatives and you want to share business information or conduct commercial activities through Go See Campus, you are required to register as a professional user. If you have registered as any other type of user, you can change your status by contacting Go See Campus.
Should college representatives and their agents register as professionals?
Yes, they should follow the guidelines for professional users described here.
Does registering as a professional user cost anything?
No, it is free. Go See Campus has no current plans to charge for professional accounts.
What benefits do professional accounts have?
A professional account...
- Permits you to mention your work and company to other users when responding to questions. This helps us give users guidance only from those who are qualified.
- Allows parents and students to click on your Community Name and see your company profile and contact information
- Highlights you as a professional in college search with a special symbol that appears when you post in the Community
Additional features are being developed just for our professional users.
When I respond to a community submission, how can I mention my company and still follow the code of conduct?
An appropriate way to do this is, "I'm John Smith, the Admissions Director with X College, and I wanted to respond to your question." You can also remind others that they can find your personal information by clicking on your Community Name. Finally, you can invite the user to contact you by private messaging.
What am I not allowed to do as a professional user?
Even as a professional user, Go See Campus does not allow you to
- post commercial offers or contact information for your business in the body of a submission.
- volunteer information about your services without another user specifically asking for it.
What should I do if I am commenting on a question about my business or a competitor?
Make it clear that you are affiliated with your business when commenting on your business or a competitor's business. Feel free to describe your advantages, but do not offer critical comments about your competitors.
How do I choose my professional Community Name?
You may choose a Community Name that shows off your organization. However, you may not include links or contact information in your Community name.